Thursday, July 13, 2006

secretly drooling

Darcy has a new concert for you to download and enjoy.

+

I don't know about you, but I can't stop drooling over Kelefa Sanneh. Justin Timberlake's new single is actually as good as Sanneh implies.

+

Great solo voice/acoustic guitar performance by Thom Yorke. It's like he's suddenly morphed into a bluesman, or something.

+

Steve Coleman interviews Dave Douglas.

But the one thing about these new business models is that listeners and people who love music also have a responsibility to support the artist. It doesn't take a lot. With an artist-run web site, you assume the goodwill of people-that they will buy the CD but not copy it for their friends. I see it at gigs. With a group of college guys, where once I'd sell five CDs, now I just sell one. How you purchase music is a political decision. To perpetuate the music, people have to pay back into the system. It's only happened a few times, but I've been approached by fans asking me to sign a CD-R. They don't understand the humor of that.
(...)
(Coleman) There's a lot of detail you don't see by just looking to the past. Looking back to the '40s and '50s is like seeing the highlights of a basketball game on ESPN versus seeing the entire game. We're not hearing conversations that Charlie Parker was having.