Saturday, April 10, 2004

Synchronicity

It's uncanny how coincidences work, sometimes.

For the last two years, I've been thinking on and off that I really needed to interview Bert Joris, a beautiful trumpeter somewhere in the Art Farmer/Kenny Dorham/Chet Baker/Miles Davis nebula of lyricism and a very fine composer and arranger (two indispensable albums on De Werf from 2002: The Brussels Jazz Orchestra Plays the Music of Bert Joris and his own Quartet Live).

Yesterday morning I played the Live album for the first time in a long time. That very afternoon, the PR person for Flagey called me to see if I'd be interested in a triple Bert Joris/Philip Catherine/Frank Vaganée (leader of the Brussels Jazz Orchestra) interview on the day of their collaborative concert at Flagey. Naturally, I agreed.

Weird.