Tuesday, April 20, 2004

'Allo 'allo

Yesterday I finally got a SIM card for a mobile phone my mother gave me some months ago. Despite the screen being slightly cracked, it's a very cool phone. It can take pictures, so you may soon have blurry squares accompanying concert reviews. Also, it can record sounds, which I can then use as ring tones, therefore bypassing the pay-for-ringtone-of-pop-song business (I'm sure they don't even have a license to use those songs, anyway).

I've long wanted to have "'Round Midnight" as a ring-tone, but decided to postpone that and go for something hipper. At the moment, I have the beginning of Usher's "Yeah!" for incoming calls and Cody Chestnutt declaring "Bitch, I'm broke" for text messages. I also recorded the Ying Yang Twinz's exhortation to "Shake it like a salt-shaker!" and will probably do the same with André's "Shake, shake it." For some reason, text messages and shaking go together in my mind.

Yesterday I was listening to Coltrane's Sun Ship and a nice blast of frenzied saxophone and drums could be a nice way to startle fellow public transportation users. Then again, it's not as if I expect to get calls all that often. It's just crossed my mind that something from James Newton's all-flute recording Axum could sound really cool too. At one point, I was tempted to use myself saying "Mwanji, you have a phone call." I don't know if it's such a good idea. Since I'm in Belgium, maybe I should do "Ceci n'est pas un appel téléphonique."

Suggestions are welcome.