Sunday, January 04, 2004

Junior Jazz update

I first mentioned Junior Jazz, a.k.a. 14 year old Eline Van Coillie, here and here. I just caught her (completely accidentally) singing "My Favorite Things" on a Flemish TV show (Axelle Red promoting her latest thing and Paul Michiels doing a Dutch the-year-it-was version of Norah Jones's "Don't Know Why" were also featured).

JJ was accompanied by two guitarists and a bassist. I suppose she's promoting her album (which seems to be doing well: my jazz salesman friend asked me if I knew what Junior Jazz was, as he had been getting a number of enquiries about it. For some reason it's in the pop section). In any case, while she didn't seem too passionate about the material, she sounded a lot better than what I remember from the original Man Bijt Hond videos. Her strong Flemish accent was quite cute too. Maybe she'll go on to become really good, once she gets around to singing things that really interest her.