Tuesday, December 16, 2003

Woody Shaw

Today I went from having heard no Woody Shaw albums to having heard 3:

Little Red's Fantasy
The Concert Ensemble
The Iron Men

It's clear to me now that Shaw continued the Gillespie-Brown-Hubbard line (any opinions on who's continued that tradition?). Here are some first impressions on the albums.

Little Red's Fantasy is a quintet session that derives from the Coltrane Quartet's bouncier side (rather than the more spiritual or meditative sides). On saxophone is Frank Strozier, who I hadn't heard from since Miles Davis's Walkin'. Where had he gone? A strong, but not exceptional, date.

The Concert Ensemble is a live date from 1976 and is even more energetic, powered by Louis Hayes. I really like this kind of high-energy bop (recently also found in Charles Tolliver's Music, Inc. Live at Historic Slugs, George Adams/Don Pullen Quartet City Gates and Atomic's Boom Boom). It's a little messy, but when the solos get going, it's quite fantastic. The German crowd is unbelievably receptive: if this is their reaction to a jazz concert, I can't imagine how they respond to David Hasselhof!

The Iron Men is a more intellectual pursuit, featuring Anthony Braxton, Arthur Blythe and Muhal Richard Abrams. Maybe I'll have to return to this one later, I found it a bit too strident for my tastes.