Sunday, December 21, 2003

Thirsty Ear's Blue Series

Jazz & Blues Music Reviews says of the Thirsty Ear Blue Series:

Mixing live improvisation of acoustic and electric instruments with both prepared and spontaneous electronics, the artists are able to create new soundscapes and new avenues for composition and improvisation. It seems that this also vindicates fusion and experimental musicians who were reviled in their own time for selling out. The influence of electric-period Miles Davis and the Sun Ra Arkestra are only now being felt.

The artistic success or failure of Thirsty Ear's Blue Series is an interesting topic for discussion, but I won't weigh in now, as I'm away from my CDs and I have several recent Blue Series releases that I still haven't listened to. A very good article to check out (far better than any thoughts I might come up with!) is Dan Warburton's SET SAIL FOR THE SUN: a critical appraisal of Matthew Shipp's Thirsty Ear albums at Paris Transatlantic.