Monday, July 09, 2007

still more hajdu-zorn



Catching up on my Postclassic reading, I see that Kyle Gann has commented on the Hajdu/Zorn debate, coming down more on Hajdu's side, which is unsurprising, given his past anti-Zorn comments. Gann reports an interesting Zorn anecdote in the comments:

The Downtown improviser I knew best once told me he played a terrible gig with Zorn, that completely flopped. Afterward he was down, and Zorn asked him what was wrong. "We played terribly out there." "So what?," he said Zorn replied. "It's only improvisation."
I get the impression Gann means that in a negative way, but I see it as a totally liberating statement. Sure, it goes against the give-me-my-money's-worth mindset, but I liken it to the extreme sports motto "If you aren't falling, you aren't trying." And maybe I'm just a little miffed at being referred to as "someone."