Tuesday, June 05, 2007

scanty logic



Wall of Sound noted:


There are two startling things about [David Murray's Conceptual Saxophone]. One is the music – over the two nights Murray played solo tenor for 120 minutes – and the other is that it’s still possible to buy an original 1978 vinyl pressing from the original label.
That label is Cadillac Jazz and New Music Strategies has an extensive post about it. The line "That is the original pressing from 30 years ago" is inevitably included. I'm not too sure Murray's career can really be called "scantly documented," though. [via SoundSlope]

+

Jazz Club is a French bande dessinée (hardbound comic book) by Alexandre Clérisse. You can buy it, but you can also read it in its entirety for free on the web. There are an absu (early on there's a Montreux 1976 poster, but later the Miles Davis's Second Quintet turns up), but the graphic design is cool and the nutty plot involves sects and The Great Storm of 1999. [via Jazzman]

+

Darcy is risking life and limb - or, at least, his sanity - by liveblogging a 26 hour music marathon. The toll being exacted upon him is first expressed in unusually jocular language, then in worrying physical manifestations: "Okay, really starting to feel it now. How many hours left? Oy. I'm starting to shiver. Why's it still so damn cold?," "I'm afraid. I'm afraid, Dave. Dave, my mind is going. I can feel it. I can feel it. My mind is going. There is no question about it. I can feel it. I can feel it. I can feel it. I'm a... fraid." The lengths this man goes to for your entertainment...

+

Don't think I'm ignoring D:O's fabulous '90s poll (or the follow-ups, including Ethan's blindfold test, which has me thoroughly stumped). I'll come back to it later.