Tuesday, August 16, 2005

Bluntly put



Doesn't James Blunt's "You're Beautiful" read like an expanded Kiss & Ride missive from the Metro? *

"I saw your face/In a crowded place": on the platform, waiting for the 8.15 from [insert small town near you] to [insert big city slightly further away].

"And I don't think I'll see you again": do you take this line often? I haven't seen you on it before.

"'Cause I'll never be with you": the statistical probability of our meeting fortuitiously once more is very low, especially given that I take the same train every day and have never seen you before.

-- After looking up the lyrics --

"She smiled at me on the subway": even more crowded than the train station.

"Yeah, she caught my eye/As she walked on by": nice rhyme, James.

"But we shared a moment that will last till the end": the end of what? Since you'll never see her again, the end of this imagined relationship has already arrived. Not much of a moment, was it? That'll teach you to get high before going to work.

I still like the song. Maybe I could get a French translation of it published in the Metro. And include the obligatory flattering email address: yourbeautiful752154@hotmail.com (sic, for adolescent authenticity).

* Come to think of it, it's also a kinda-sorta-like a less interesting "Fit But You Know It."